Sunday, July 19, 2015

Is It a Dupe? - Indie vs. Mainstream

Purchased by Me

Greetings! Today, I have my first ever Is It a Dupe? post to share! Ever since I discovered indie nail polish, I have been on the hunt for indie polishes to serve as replacements for the mainstream polishes in my collection. When I saw the swatches of Supernatural Lacquer's We Kill the Sparkly Ones for Free, I knew that I had to have it. Roselynn of Manicured and Marvelous likened it to China Glaze's Fairy Dust, so I thought I would do a side-by-side comparison to determine whether it would be a suitable replacement for the much coveted Fairy Dust.
    

All swatches were topped with a coat of Gem Glam Top Coat by Dream Polish for a glossy finish.  





Supernatural Lacquer's We Kill the Sparkly Ones for Free is a clear-based glitter topper filled with holographic silver micro glitter. Shown here is one coat worn over Born to be Purple by Joha's Love Nail Polish. As a non-polish related side note, I love, love, love the show Supernatural, and the name of this polish totally cracks me up!






China Glaze's Fairy Dust is a clear-based glitter topper filled with fine holographic silver micro glitter. Shown here is one coat worn over Born to Be Purple by Joha's Love Nail Polish.





       
For this swatch, I applied Supernatural Lacquer's We Kill the Sparkly Ones for Free on my middle and pinky nails (SPN) and China Glaze's Fairy Dust on my index and ring nails (CG). I don't know about you, but at a distance, I think these two look identical! 
Upon closer inspection, the only major difference between the two is the inclusion of slightly larger glitter in We Kill the Sparkly Ones for Free, which you can see in the macros below.
       
 
(SPN)                                   (CG)





In my opinion, We Kill the Sparkly Ones for Free is a perfect alternative to Fairy Dust. The larger glitter is only slightly larger than the rest of the glitter which is identical in size to the glitter in Fairy Dust. Buying indie-made products supports small business owners which is always a wonderful thing!

If you'd like to snag a bottle of We Kill the Sparkly Ones for Free for yourself visit Stefanie's website during her next restock:
http://supernaturallacquer.storenvy.com/

You can also check Supernatural Lacquer out on the Instagram and Facebook:

Instagram:
https://instagram.com/supernatural_lacquer/
Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/SupernaturalLacquer
Facebook Fan Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SPNLFanGroup/


2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic comparison post! I finally got around to reading it though I had seen your beautiful swatch photos for We Kill the Sparkly Ones for Free on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Roselynn! The base color was very much influenced by you!

      Delete